Wolves Outshoot Prowlers

By Jay Harris Coach 

Phil Esposito and the Watertown Wolves looked to make it 4 wins in a row as they faced the Port Huron Prowlers at the Watertown Municipal Arena on Saturday night. 

Both teams came out with guns a blazing in the first period. Watertown's Dan Chang scored the first goal for the Wolves just fifteen seconds into the first period on assists from Ryan Connolly and Scott Roy. Port Huron's first goal came from Jacques Lamoureux with assists from Nathan Robson and Kyle Schultz. Jesse Facchini would score two goals back to back putting the Wolves up 3-1. Brett Liscomb earned the assist on Facchini's first goal, and Mark Petaccio provided the assist on his second. Ahmed Mahfouz came back with two of his own to tie the game up at 3. Zach Dymock would put the Wolves back on top just over the 2-minute mark with assists from Stanislav Vlasov and Danilla Allistratov. The Wolves held on to the 4-3 for the rest of the period. 

Port Huron would start the second period by pulling goalie Jo St Pierre and putting James Robbins in the net. Matt Robertson would score for the Prowlers and tie the game back up. The change of net minder seemed to have no effect on the Wolves as Brett Liscomb scored two goals back to back with Petaccio and Facchini earning assists on his first goal. Petaccio and Kyle Powell assisted on Liscomb's second goal. It was déjà vu from the first period when Zach Dymock scored the last goal of the period again to end the period with a 7-4 lead, this time with help from Connolly and Powell. 

The defense and net minders of each team stepped it up in the third period and prevented either team from scoring. Port Huron's frustration boiled over with just two minutes left when Jacques Lamoureux wrecked Daniel Chang from behind, laying him out flat on the ice. Chang's teammate Dymock refused to stand for the poor sportsmanship and let Lamoureux have it. Ahmed Mahfouz tried to help his teammate out by jumping on the back of Dymock, but Nate O'Brien stepped in and put an end to that quickly. The Skirmish resulted in Lamoureaux earning a 2-minute slashing and 4-minute double minor for roughing. Mahfouz, O'Brien, and Dymock all earned a 4-minunte double minor for roughing. The Wolves came out on top 7-4.

Coach Phil Esposito had the following comments about tonight's game. "This is the kind of the scenario we have been pushing for since the beginning of the season. We started out with a core group of guys. We had some other pieces and then we got rid of some other pieces. It's like a jigsaw puzzle... We're adding some pieces as we go and this is the result. This is where we wanna be right now. Going down the second strectch of the season we're playing really well, and scoring goals, and doing what we need to do to win hockey games." 

The three stars of the game all went to the Wolves. Brett Liscomb receiving the first, Mark Petaccio the second, and Jesse Facchini the third. The Wolves currently sit in fourth place in the Federal Hockey League standings. The Wolves be on the road Sunday against the Danbury and Titans and return to the Watertown Municipal Arena Monday to face the Cornwall Nationals. Monday's game will start at 5pm. Students, school faculty and staff will be able to purchase tickets to Monday night's game for just $5.00 if they present a school ID at the ticket window.